What a Great Opening!

Once again we had a great opening of school on August 10. It was apparent that all involved, students, teachers and support staff, were excited to get started.

I am happy to report that ALL of our schools have once again received full accreditation from the Virginia Department of Education. This determination is based in part on the results of last year’s Standards of Learning tests. I am also happy to report that as a division, the Fluvanna County schools met or exceeded the 29 objectives required by No Child Left Behind (NCLB) based on last year’s accountability data for the second year in a row. When looking at our division wide results, we see that there is a narrowing of the achievement gap in both mathematics and English. Also, it is important to note that Fluvanna Middle School met all of these objectives and Fluvanna County High School achieved this for the third consecutive year. While we saw major improvements in our elementary schools, they missed making AYP by one objective. Specifically, this was in the area of English progress with students receiving special education services. In addition to AYP and accreditation, we saw significant improvement in how our students’ scored on the Advanced Placement Tests and our SAT scores exceeded both the state and national levels. These indicators are evident because of the tremendous dedication and effort shown by our staffs and students. I also want to thank our School Board for continuing to provide the direction and support necessary for this progress to take place.

If you have driven down Route 53, you will notice that construction of the new high school is well under way. The site work is progressing and the frame of the actual building is being put into place. I am told that the project is on schedule. I also want to report that we have finished with the renovations to the Central Elementary School auditorium. I have noted the excitement of the Central staff and it looks wonderful.

Finally, I would like to mention our efforts concerning the H1N1 flu. Since last spring, we have been working very closely with the Thomas Jefferson Health Department to monitor this illness and address its impact on our schools. If you visit our website (www.fluco.org), you will find the latest information that we have on this illness. In September, the School Board also agreed to work with the Health Department in providing the H1N1 flu vaccine to all of our students and staffs. Once we know when this will occur, we will send home notices and permission slips to our families. No child will receive the vaccine without parent permission.   

As we move into this school year, we will continue to address these and other issues. I am confident of our continued success as long as we have your help and support. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or comments regarding these issues. I can be reached at 434-589-8208 or [email protected].